Friday, October 30, 2009

Week #6 - Week of Budgeting

Week of October 26th

It's not that writing a budget takes a week in itself. Although for me, I admit, there is a lot of staring at the wall. And rubbing my forehead or temples. It's like if I rub my brain just right I will think better.

I also find that I need an hour or so of decompression from other concerns (read: my day job) that muddy my thinking before I actually can write down anything useful.

First there are my assumptions. You know what they say happens when one assumes. Except that making assumptions about the project is really helpful in shaping my thinking.

There's also the deciding which line item goes where. This is a non-traditional project that breaks down into smaller projects. I feel that differentiating between them in "micro" and then putting them together under one "macro" umbrella is the way to go. Knowing the budget of each component should make it easier to target fundraising, and hopefully make the accounting easier in the long run.

It's just that right now it makes my head hurt.

So there you have it, it's just me duking it out with a spreadsheet this week. My ideals vs my parsimony. I've posted my weekly blog early this week because it somehow makes me feel better. I don't have a budget completely written down yet, but I plan to my the end of the weekend.

Pass the ibuproefen -- Liz E